Many car accident survivors wonder whether they should hire a lawyer, and they may hesitate for a variety of reasons. They may find lawyers intimidating and worry they might not be able to afford one. It helps to know exactly what a car accident lawyer will do when you hire one.
Many lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means they only get paid if you win your case. Having a lawyer represent you almost always means that the compensation you receive will be a larger amount than if you try to do it without legal representation. A car accident lawyer should do the following for you:
- Investigate: Your lawyer should examine all of the available evidence, such as photographs of the accident scene, eyewitness accounts, driving records of the other drivers, and if necessary, surveillance videos and expert opinions. A lawyer will do everything possible to build a strong case for compensation, including recreating the accident scene to show how the at-fault driver caused your injuries.
- Gather evidence: In order to pursue compensation, your lawyer will tally the cost of the accident and show how the accident has affected your life, especially if you suffered serious injuries. This includes medical costs, property damage, lost wages, loss of future earnings if your ability to earn a living has been impacted, pain and suffering, and loss of companionship if you lost a loved one. To help prove these losses, your lawyer will document everything by gathering your medical records, medical bills, bills for vehicle repairs not covered by insurance, pay stubs, and a doctor’s statement of disability if applicable. Your lawyer may also decide to bolster the evidence with the testimony of medical experts.
- Handle correspondences: Your attorney can handle all the correspondences with the insurance companies.
- Negotiate a settlement amount: After doing all of the above, if the insurance company offers you a settlement, a lawyer can negotiate to ensure the amount is fair and reasonable.
- Go to bat for you in court: If the insurance company lowballs the settlement amount, your lawyer should recognize this and be prepared to go to court if necessary.
Even if your accident was minor, having a car accident lawyer on your side makes it more likely that the insurance company or opposing counsel will take your case seriously.
Tinton Falls Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Offices of Michael S. Williams Fight for the Rights of Accident Victims
At the Law Offices of Michael S. Williams, our Tinton Falls car accident lawyers provide compassionate and personalized legal representation to each and every one of our clients. Call us at 732-351-2800 or complete our online form today to schedule a free initial consultation. Located in Tinton Falls, New Jersey, we proudly serve clients in Shrewsbury and Monmouth County.